Saturday, January 29, 2011

ArguingWithMandyMooreAndMirriam-Webster

I think I might have a crush on you.
But the whole idea of it got me thinking…

First of all, why do they call it a crush?
By definition, the word crush means “1. To compress with violence, out of natural shape or condition. 2. To break into small pieces. 3. To humiliate or depress completely. Or 4. A song by Mandy Moore from 2001.”
Now 1 seems to be way off track since I don’t want to compress you with violence. I like you. I care about you, so why would I want to compress you in any way? Maybe I’d compress you with a hug, but then that wouldn’t be in any way related to the definition…so never mind.
2 seems to be more fitting of a crush gone wrong when they say you get your heart crushed…but that doesn’t sound right. At least not yet.
3 is something I hope this doesn’t lead to.
So that means 4 is the most appropriate.

Now I’m not a Mandy Moore fan, but it looks like an adolescent pop star is way ahead of the curve as far as defining this entire problem goes. Because I don’t think Mirriam or Webster still get crushes, so how would they be able to properly define it in a dictionary?

To me, a crush is something you’re meant to grow out of.
Either it turns into something more, or you get the 2nd and 3rd definitions.
Or it turns into something more, it doesn’t work out and you still get the 2nd and 3rd definitions…hmmm.

Now if this is what it feels like to be “in love”
I think dying would probably be like a rollercoaster ride.
I mean…wondering if you even know I exist, wondering if you like me back, or sleeping on a bed of nails every night wondering if there’s another guy. If you like me as just a friend, or if I annoy you every time I send you a message or a text…it’s not my thing.

But since I’m already here, I might as well get an answer.
So…will you be my Mandy Moore?
Or will you leave me with 2 and 3?

0 comment(s):

What's really good.

Welcome to the home of Paragraphs from a Polkadotted Purple Panda! Here you will find any work I feel like sharing, which will range from anything art related. One day I might feel like writing a poem (which is most days), then another I might feel like recording a song and putting it up. On this page, you will see poetry, songs, graphic designs, and any other form of art I am capable of, so enjoy the read and be sure to tell me what you think! I'll be doing my best to upload something new every few days by the latest, but be sure to stick around and watch my story unfold.