Friday, June 10, 2011

EulogyForThePersonThatGaveUpOnDreams

This is a eulogy…for the person I used to be.

I remember you…slowly being erased by time and experience
The way pens refuse to be, so they can rewrite history.
But that’s when we find out who we really are.
When our eyelids wave goodbye to that night sky
For the last time and we die in our dreams
Not knowing that we are still asleep
So we can give chase to what we almost gave up on.
The painful beauty of the mo(u)rning
That lets us know that we’re still alive
And we’re not dead just yet.

I still have life left
Instead of working these graveyard shifts
Burying skeletons in my closet
That have already passed their expiration date.

And I’m not one to let rigor mortis
Tell me it’s too late to give chase.
Not when wishing wells choke on my dreams
Because they’re too big to drown
In the tidal waves our actions make ripples of.

See the stars in our eyes never really die
But we only see them when it’s too late
And MJ is still dancing for the man in the mirror
So he can turn into the man on the moon walking
Somewhere on its surface so we won’t forget.
That we are the world
And the rivers in our veins
Combined with the earthquakes in our chests
And the mountains that we’ve piled on our shoulders
Never tell us who we are.
They tell us what we can become.

0 comment(s):

What's really good.

Welcome to the home of Paragraphs from a Polkadotted Purple Panda! Here you will find any work I feel like sharing, which will range from anything art related. One day I might feel like writing a poem (which is most days), then another I might feel like recording a song and putting it up. On this page, you will see poetry, songs, graphic designs, and any other form of art I am capable of, so enjoy the read and be sure to tell me what you think! I'll be doing my best to upload something new every few days by the latest, but be sure to stick around and watch my story unfold.